Thursday, August 26, 2010

Postcard From Maine: Ice Cream Edition

One of the edible things I love about Maine is the plethora of in-state ice cream companies: Gifford's, Beal's, Shaine's--it's like no one gives a hoot about two old hippies from Vermont. Frozen custard is also a big deal here. Every other ice cream place seems to serve it. What makes frozen custard well, custard is a bit of egg added into the mixture. It's definitely not for everyone, as it has a distinct flavor and texture. I had some chocolate custard while driving back from the outlets in Freeport. I want to say it was gummy, which is a horrible word to use for something I actually enjoyed, but it definitely has a different consistency than hard ice cream or soft-serve. Taffy-esque? Eh. You get what I mean.


Anyways, in Portland, we indulged in a cherry flip hot fudge sundae from Beal's. The line was out the door even at 9:30, which is always a good sign. Beal's makes super-premium ice cream in all kinds of fun flavors (mmm grapenut). I also liked how they offer a "nut mixture" with their sundaes, not just boring old walnuts.


Then, while in Naples we had Shaine's of Maine. My brother's name is Shane which, when combined with a trip for ice cream, usually results in a bout of this. I had Maine Tracks, which is essentially giant crushed up peanut butter cups surrounded by some ice cream. Even the lady who scooped my cup was amazed: "There's a peanut butter cup in every scoop! It's incredible!" Now, when someone (especially a no-nonsense Mainer) refers to ice cream as incredible, you know you're in for something good. Shaine's of Maine does not disappoint, but cowboys named Shane--well, that's for another post.

No comments: