Friday, August 27, 2010

Postcard From Maine: Makin' Whoopie (Pies)

Isn't this the greatest picture you've ever seen???

In addition to the previously mentioned lobster rolls and ice cream, the great state of Maine is also known for their whoopie pies. It's not quite a cake, not quite a cookie, but man....they're good. My Aunt Maura, who headed north over twenty years ago and never looked back, told me that Chipman's in Windham, ME sold the best whoopie pies in the area made by the Bread and More Bakery out of McFalls, ME . Luckily, it also happened to be on the way back to CT, so naturally I stopped and picked one up.

My aunt also happens to be a great baker specializing in 'whoopie pies and cheesecakes', as she put it. I've yet to make a whoopie pie myself, but word on the internet is they're poised to become the next "It" dessert and will finally put cupcakes in their place. This makes sense though because whoopie pies are, in essence, a cupcake sandwich; and we all know how I feel about those....

Whoopie pies are also a fun cupcake alternative with just as much versitility. Red Velvet, Pumpkin, Peanut Butter, and Blueberry-Lemon are just a few of the twists my aunt has made. Here's a
recipe for red velvet ones courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens, since that's the kind I would make if I had some free time right now. Instead, I'm too busy writing on this BLOG for YOU.

No comments: