Monday, August 2, 2010

Taste of Hartford 2010


I said goodbye to the fair city of Hartford today by stopping off for dinner at Mayor Mike's. (Full disclosure: I am friends with co-owner Dave Peters. But still, if it wasn't good I wouldn't eat there.) Anyways, the bi-annual Taste of Hartford is running until August 8th and is quite popular. Over two dozen restaurants are featuring special three-course gourmet dinners at only $20.10. Sadly, it is one of the few times that many Hartford-area residents actually venture downtown, which is a shame. A friend of mine from Boston met me at Agave Grill last winter for dinner and commented: "Hartford's nice! I thought it'd be a lot crappier." Perhaps that should be the new motto: Come to Hartford! It's not as bad as you think!

For dinner I had a beet and goat cheese summer salad to start, followed by pan-sauteed Tilapia with sundried tomato and pesto aioli and finished off the meal with a delicious slice of coconut cake. Mayor Mike's also has a new Happy Hour menu featuring lots of miniature versions of your favorite bar foods such as pulled pork and cheddar sliders and mini hot dogs. So cute! So cheap! Now you really have no excuse to spend your Wednesday night at Ruby Tuesdays. I'm looking at you, Newington.

No comments: