Friday, August 13, 2010

An Old Man Bar For The Old Man In You


One time I was out with a friend who suggested we head to the Fowler House for drinks. "Is it an old man bar?" I asked. Naturally, my friend was a bit puzzled and required a more detailed explanation. "You know, a place with leather seats and dark lighting? Like the library of some country manor?" He pondered this for a moment before answering that yes, he knew what I meant and no, the Fowler House was not that kind of old man bar. Fortunately, last night I checked out the Russell House Tavern in Cambridge and am happy to report that it met my old man bar standards, and then some. It opened a few months ago and is usually pretty packed, but this was the first time I had visited. In addition to two levels of dark lighting, lots of leather, and brass, they have an excellent cocktail menu. Normally I tend to keep things simple when it comes to alcohol, but the Jacobin Club caught my eye. It was a mix of St. Germain, Chartreuse, grapefruit juice, and Agnostura. Not too sweet, but not too bitter. My friend got the St. Germain cocktail, which was also excellent. Apparently I love Elderflower. All in all, I'd say it's a fine place to take a lady, an old man, or a mix of both. What?

No comments: